Friday, May 2, 2014

Beer syrup

Beer syrup. It may sound simple. And it is. It's actually just simple syrup made with beer instead of water. That means two ingredients: beer and sugar.


However, brought together they create an interesting product that can be used for pretty much everything! Put it in your tea, cocktails (e.g. in an Irish Coffee instead of brown sugar), in your food, in your cakes... Ok, it's pretty much like simple syrup, but the taste is really a lot more interesting than the traditional one!
You can also substitute the sugar in the bacon/beer/cheddar bread with this little fellah and add even more beer to the recipe! 

I used the Nordic Beer from Carlsberg. I had leftovers from a six-pack I purchased, and as it's a light beer, they haven't been consumed by my BF, haha! You can use pretty much any beer. Darker beers tend to bring a heavier flavor, and can easily be spiced up by being boiled with e.g. cinammon or orange peel.

What you will need:

1 beer (approximately 33 cl.)
330 grams of sugar

I usually do about the same amount of liquid and sugar. If I need to speed things up, I sometimes add more sugar to make it thicker more quickly.

How to make it:

Put the sugar and the beer in a casserole and bring it to boil. Once it boils, turn down the heat and let it simmer. Leave it for a while, but keep an eye on it. Mine boiled over like three times, leaving a lot of the golden, delicious syrup to waste (woops).
The longer it boils, the thicker it gets. You can pretty much use it as soon as the sugar is dissolved, but I prefer it a bit thicker. I wouldn't want it to be thick as molasses or caramel either, as it makes it harder to work with.



I usually leave it until the bubbles thicken and the syrup has gotten a slightly thicker texture. One way to test it is to check that the syrup sticks to the spoon after stirring it! Also, remember that the syrup will thicken further as it cools.


Finally, I pour it into an old glass bottle with an attachable lid. Pretty much any container suitable for food would do, though. Just make sure to cool it to room temperature if you are using a plastic container!



That's it! Let me know how it goes and how you are using your delicious syrup!

Lots of Love,
Becks




No comments:

Post a Comment